Travel Tips for Jamaica - Business/Communication
- US currency is accepted at most shops and businesses in resort
areas, and larger businesses in urban areas. Smaller shops and rural
businesses may not readily accept foreign currency. The same applies to
international debit and credit cards.
- Many business places close on a Sunday. Most government offices
close on Saturday and Sunday. Banks operate Monday to Friday. If you
need to change currency on the weekend, try using a cambio, most of
which operate within other businesses such as supermarkets.
- There are many Western Union locations around the island, in case you need money sent to you from abroad.
- General Consumption Tax of 16.5% is added to most consumer goods and
services. Some businesses (especially in rural areas) include the tax
in their ticketed prices,
some don't. You may want to ask if GCT is already included, before you
make a purchase.
- The number of locations offering wireless internet access is increasing, but still limited.
All public libraries islandwide offer free internet access.
- Jamaica's telephone area code is 876.
Was this article helpful? Yes -0 No -0 31