Travel Tips for Jamaica - Business/Communication
- US currency is accepted at most shops and businesses in resort areas, and larger businesses in urban areas. Smaller shops and rural businesses may not readily accept foreign currency. The same applies to international debit and credit cards.
- Many business places close on a Sunday. Most government offices close on Saturday and Sunday. Banks operate Monday to Friday. If you need to change currency on the weekend, try using a cambio, most of which operate within other businesses such as supermarkets.
- There are many Western Union locations around the island, in case you need money sent to you from abroad.
- General Consumption Tax of 16.5% is added to most consumer goods and services. Some businesses (especially in rural areas) include the tax in their ticketed prices, some don't. You may want to ask if GCT is already included, before you make a purchase.
- The number of locations offering wireless internet access is increasing, but still limited. All public libraries islandwide offer free internet access.
- Jamaica's telephone area code is 876.
Was this article helpful?31 Posted by: 👨 Alice J. Carey